The Upward Bound Program is a grant funded by the Federal Department of Education.
Upward Bound (UB) is one of the oldest and most successful college preparatory programs of its kind in the nation. Through intensive academic support and exposure to the college-going experience, Upward Bound equips students to enter and succeed in higher education.
WHO QUALIFIES FOR UPWARD BOUND?
High school students must meet the following criteria :
- Attend Rockford Auburn or East high school
- Be a rising freshman, sophomore, or junior
- Be between the ages of 13-19
- Be a potential first generation college student (neither parent/guardian has a bachelor’s degree)
- Meet income guidelines as determined by the U.S. Department of Education
- Prime candidates are students who have the desire and potential for college, but due to potential obstacles require an additional support system to achieve their higher educational goals
WHICH SERVICES ARE PROVIDED AFTER HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION?
- High school graduates will enroll in three (3) credit hours at Rock Valley College
- Attend a bridge program to assist in the transition to higher education
- Including assistance with enrollment, financial aid, study skills, time management, dealing with stress, tutoring, and advising
- Graduates are tracked during their higher education career, to provide support to achieve their goal of college graduation
WHAT OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE?
- After school tutoring
- Saturday college tours
- SAT prep
- Academic Planning
- Career Planning
- Cultural Activities
- Testing fee waivers
- Assist with college application and Scholarship searches
- Financial aid workshop
- Community service opportunities
6-WEEK SUMMER PROGRAM:
- Leadership development
- Academic enrichment in Math, English, Reading, Science, and Foreign Language
- Fun elective classes
- College tours
- Senior Year Boot Camp