Testing Guidelines for Students
Providing testing services for students with disabilities requires careful scheduling of both the professional staff and the physical space available in the Testing Center. Therefore, it is imperative that students make their accommodation requests for testing as early as possible. The following guidelines have been established to assist students with advance planning to ensure that their needs are met in a timely manner.
- Request Testing Accommodations through the DSS Accommodations Portal. Requests should be made every semester and for each class where accommodation is needed.
- Communicate Accommodation Needs With Instructors. Students should communicate with instructors regarding testing accommodations whenever necessary. Some areas where clarification may be needed include what accommodations are being requested, preferred location for testing (example: classroom vs. Testing Center), timeline for completing the exam, what accommodations are allowed, etc.
- Schedule Exam(s)/Quizzes With the Testing Center. It is recommended that testing appointments are scheduled at least three days in advance of an exam/quiz (via phone, email, or personal visit). Students should be prepared to indicate the exam/quiz date, time, course name and instructor name.
- Course examinations and tests are normally administered during the regularly scheduled class periods when other students are testing, unless there are extenuating circumstances.
- A scheduled testing appointment is required for students using any of the following accommodations:
- Student aide services (readers, scribes, lab assistants);
- Specialized environment;
- Adaptive equipment and/or Assistive Technology; and
- Audio/Alternative texts formats.
- Call to Confirm Exam/Quiz Delivery. Students are advised to confirm their appointment with the Testing Center and verify test delivery from their instructor one day prior to the test. Confirmation can be done via phone, email, or personal visit.
Contact Information for the Testing Center
The Testing Center is located on the ground floor of the Student Center.
Phone: (815) 921-2380
Monday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Select Saturdays 8:00 a.m. – Noon
Please Note: Friday, Saturday, and evening hours are subject to change during Summer, Spring Break, and between Fall and Spring semesters. Please contact the Testing Center to verify hours of operation during these periods.