Certificate: 11 credits
Program Length: Three semesters- 8 weeks each (PLB-110, PLB-120, and PLB-130)
Phlebotomy Program Contact: (815) 921-3208
The phlebotomist is an integral part of the healthcare team. This professional will obtain blood specimens in a prompt and efficient manner. This individual must be proficiently trained to maintain high standards to ensure quality and safety in all aspects of specimen collection. The Phlebotomy Technician Program involves teaching of techniques for the purpose of obtaining blood samples by venipuncture and dermal capillary procedures. Medical and Laboratory terminology, anatomy of the circulatory systems, interpersonal communication, laboratory safety, legal guidelines and professional skills will be covered.
Upon successful completion of the three portions of this 24-week program, the student will have entry-level employment skills and meet all requirements to qualify for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) examination. The first and second portion of this program will consist of 16 weeks of classroom lecture and lab skill demonstration. The third portion of this program will consist of eight weeks where the student will be assigned 110 hours at a medical practicum site to obtain practical experience and record 100 venipunctures and dermal punctures to meet the competency requirements.
NOTE: Practicum is offered during the daytime hours only.
Work & Employment
This program prepares students for a career in Health Science Fields. The program is also beneficial for Nursing students, Certified Nursing Assistants, and Medical Assistants. Upon successful completion of the program, the student will have the qualifications to work as an entry-level phlebotomist in a medical office, drawing center, or hospital setting.
- Students must achieve a minimum passing grade of “C” (2.0) in both lecture and laboratory portions of the Phlebotomy Technician (PLB-110 and PLB-120) and Medical Terminology (HLT-110) in order to qualify for the clinical portion of this program (PLB-130)
- Diploma- a graduate of a recognized or accredited secondary school at the time of enrollment or has completed the G.E.D as required by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Must be 18 years of age or older prior to Phlebotomy Program registration
- Current CPR Certification
- Physical exam (12 months), Proof of current vaccines, active titers, and negative two-step TB test results (forms in RVC Student Phlebotomy Handbook). Needed for admission to the program.
- Criminal Background and Drug Test: to be completed on Admission
- Reading Requirement: Students must have successfully completed RDG 099 with a “C” or higher or tested out according to ACT/SAT within the last 3 years, or Accuplacer Testing:
- ACT Score: Minimum of 19
- SAT Score: Minimum of 510
- Accuplacer Score: (prior to Feb. 2019) 70 or higher
- Accuplacer Score: (Feb. 2019 or after) 246 or higher
- Math Requirement: Students must be eligible for MTH 088 with a “C” or higher or tested out according to ACT/SAT within the last 3 years, or Accuplacer Testing;
- ACT Score: Minimum of 18
- SAT Score: Minimum of 470
- Accuplacer Elem. Algebra Score: (prior to Feb. 2019) 33 or higher
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Score: (prior to Feb. 2019) 27 or higher
- Accuplacer Quantitative Reasoning Score: (Feb. 2019 or after) 227 or higher
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Score: (Feb. 2019 or after) 227 or higher
- Completed HLT-110 with a grade of C or higher, or with the consent of the Phlebotomy Coordinator.
- Students are responsible for transportation to and from clinical affiliates.
- NAVY BLUE medical scrubs are required. Please see Program Coordinator.
- Proof of liability insurance and medical insurance coverage.
- Completed and signed agreement forms (RVC Student Phlebotomy Handbook) prior to clinical rotation assignment.
Phlebotomy Technician (#5605)
Length of Program: (based on Full-time Status)
Cost of Program: (In-District Tuition – 11 credits)
Additional Fees: $452 Lab Fee + Physical Exam & Background Check
Estimated cost of books & supplies: ($180 books, approx.. $35 Navy scrubs uniform)