Stay-At-Home Activities & Resources
Updated 5/3/21 at 10:56 a.m.
The resources on this page are also available on the CLR Facebook page. Now that the CLR Spring online semester has started, there will be less resources shared on this page. It will still be updated on a weekly basis.
NOTE: If you have an activity, article, class, etc. that you think other CLR members would enjoy, please send items or links to Allison Den Braven at A.Denbraven@RockValleyCollege.edu. We want this page to reflect items that interest our members and would be happy to share your ideas with ALL of the CLR members!
Art & Crafts
- Arts & Crafts - Join Astar from Astar's Place and choose from over 100 different crafting tutorials! From making your own chalk to making fridge magnets to making a mini chandelier, there are tons of great crafting options for you to try!
- DIY Junk Journal - This video is a short tutorial on creating a spring junk journal from a recycled paper bag. What a fun, creative idea! You may want additional supplies such as paint, scissors, and some pretty printed images.
- How to Use Zoom on iPad Tutorial - In this video, you will get an overview on how to use Zoom on an Apple iPad, learn how to install the Zoom application from the App Store, join a meeting as a participant, and much more! There are so many things that we can do with Zoom, including hosting your own meeting with family and friends! This tutorial is compatible with any iPad device.
- Ultimate Guide to Senior Finance - Check out this article by Assisted Living Today, that provides answers to your questions regarding senior finances. Topics include benefits and social security, budgeting and saving, consumer protection, health care costs, different types of insurances, taxes and tax planning, mortgage strategies, wills and trusts, and other financial resources.
- Core Training for Seniors by Certified Fitness Trainer, Rebecca Lockhart. Check out her website for individualized personal training and more information.
- Simple Cardio for Beginner to Intermediate - Join April from Yes2Next in this 30-minute intermediate cardio workout. Exercises will work your cardiovascular system and improve your balance and coordination, while strengthening your upper and lower body. All exercises can be modified and done from a seated position.
- Strength Training Exercises for Seniors by Certified Fitness Trainer, Rebecca Lockhart. Check out her website for individualized personal training and more information.
Health & Wellness
- Fall Prevention - Discover some essential tips and facts for elder fall prevention. Find out more about medical fall risks including medication side effects, blood pressure changes and underlying medical conditions. You will also learn about in-home fall risks including trip hazards, temperature control, and instability.
- Health Benefits of Music - Isn't it interesting how hearing a particular song can bring back a special memory or make you feel happy, calm or pumped up? People are born with the ability to tell the difference between music and noise. This article by the Pfizer Medical Team will help explain how music affects the brain and how it can actually improve our health and well-being.
- Healthy Changes to Reduce Cholesterol - In this article by the Mayo Clinic staff, you will discover five different healthy changes to improve your cholesterol and lower your risk of heart disease and heart attacks.
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor - Do you ever leave the doctor's office wishing you had asked more questions? "A Place for Mom" has put an article together providing some great questions for you to ask at the doctor's office including questions about your diagnosis, treatment, and tests.
- The Hindenburg Disaster - On May 6, 1937, a German passenger airship LZ 129 Hindenburg caught fire and was destroyed during its attempt to dock with its mooring mast at Naval Air Station Lakehurst. Follow this link to read more about this tragic event in our history.
- History of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream - Discover how Ben & Jerry's started as a little hippie-dippy company that could, and against all odds, became the best selling ice cream in the U.S. and why they continue to churn it up for their values.
- History of the First Ladies - In this documentary , you will learn more about some of the most powerful women behind the Presidents including Michelle Obama, Melania Trump, Hillary Clinton, Abigail Adams, Betty Ford, Dolley Madison, Jacqueline Kennedy, Laura Bush, Mary Todd Lincoln, Nancy Reagan and Pat Nixon.
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory - Who loves the original film based off the book written by Roald Dahl? Has there ever been anything that you questioned during the film? Join Minty Comedic Arts to uncover 10 things you didn't know about this incredible film.
- Little Miss Sunshine Film - You can now watch this film for FREE with advertisements on YouTube! When a fluke gets an awkward 7-year-old invited to compete in a beauty pageant, her family takes her on a cross-country trip in their VW bus to get her there. With actore, Steve Carell, Abigail Breslin, Toni Collette & Greg Kinnear, you won't want to miss this touching and emotional story.
- Who Was the Real Jane Austen? - Join Lucy Worsley as she explores the different houses in which Jane Austen lives and stayed to discover just how much they shaped Jane's life and novels.
- Discovering World Religions - Join John Bellaimey with Ted-Ed to explore the intertwined histories and cultures of the major religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam. John will cover questions like 'Where do we come from?' and 'How do I live a life of meaning?' These questions are central to the five major world religions.
- How to Read the Bible - This ongoing series explores the origins, content, and purpose of the Bible. Here you'll be introduced to some of the basic skills necessary for reading the Bible effectively.
Science & Nature
- Different Milks Explained - With the variety of milk and milk substitute options, which one is best for you? What are the differences between them? Join Jonathon J. O'Sullivan and Grace E. Cunningham as they provide information to discover which milk is best for you.
- Earth & Our Solar System - What would happen if Earth was kicked out of our solar system? What effect will it have on the rest of the solar system? Discover the answers in this short video.
- Loneliness - Everybody feels lonely sometimes, but only a few of us are aware of how important this feeling was for our ancestors - and that our modern world can turn it into something that really hurts us. In this short video, discover what loneliness can do if left ignored.
- Unanswered Science Questions Explained - YouTube channel called ASAP Science that holds a collection of educational videos explaining science. From creators, Mitchell Mofit and Gregory Brown, they answer science questions from, "Is Your Phone Listening To You" to "What If You Only Drank Soda?"
- Be Mentally Resilient - In the field of psychology, "mental resilience" is defined as a person's capacity to effectively deal with stressors, challenges, and adverse situations, and still perform well in spite of their circumstances. What are some ways that we can improve our own mental strength? Find out in this short video by Psych2Go on YouTube.
- Facing Fear & How to Begin Healing from PTSD - Dr. Caroline Leaf is a neuroscientist specializing in cognitive and metacognitive neuropsychology. She recently wrote a book titled, Cleaning Up Your Mental Mess, which provides a scientifically proven five-step plan to find and eliminate the root of anxiety, depression, and intrusive thoughts in your life. In this specific blog, she speaks with Former Navy SEAL, Brandon Webb, about facing your fears and using them to your advantage, healing from PTSD, and how to help veterans and active military members with their mental health.
- Shyness vs. Social Anxiety - People usually misconstrue shyness and social anxiety. Shyness is the initial awkwardness that precedes forced small talk with people you have never met. Social anxiety is the pervasive intense fear of being judged, humiliated, rejected, or embarrassed in a social setting that leads to anxiety or avoidance.
- Uncomfortable Conversations with a Black Man - This is a YouTube series by Emmanuel Acho. It was created as a safe place to have the uncomfortable conversations about race that many people have never been able to have. Mr. Acho created this series to remove the barriers for why we have never had these conversations and provide a space for curious white people to answer the questions they have always has, but have been too nervous to ask.
Special Interests & Hobbies
- AARP Smart Driver Course Online - Refreshing your driving skills could reduce your auto insurance costs! This online course could save you money on your car insurance, it is affordable, and it teaches you strategies to keep you safe behind the wheel.
- How Things are Made - Learn how some of your favorite products are made. Some things included are ceramic fireplaces, croissants, pocket knives, wigs, canned tomatoes, bowling balls, artificial eyes, peanut butter, and much more.
- Personal Growth Habits - The Art of Improvement on YouTube has provided a short video giving 21 tiny habits to try that will effortlessly improve your life. Additional resources are available in the description of the video.
- TED Talks - A nonprofit organization dedicated to spreading ideas in the form of short, powerful talks. Their mission is to welcome people from all over the world that seek a deeper understanding of the world.
- Unique Antiques - Join Mike from 66 Unique Antiques as he discusses five specific items that used to be money makers that have now plummeted in value. Find out what items you may have been keeping that no longer have value.
- Alcatraz - San Francisco, CA
- Anderson Japanese Gardens - Rockford, IL
- Art Institute of Chicago - Chicago, IL
- Buckingham Palace - London, England
- Ford's Theatre - Washington DC
- George Washington's Mount Vernon - Mt Vernon, VA
- Great Wall of China
- Hunter-Dawson State Historic Site - New Madrid, MO
- The Louvre - Paris, France
- San Diego Zoo - San Diego, CA
- The Titanic Cruise Ship
- Yellowstone National Park - Yellowstone National Park, WY
- Yosemite National Park - Yosemite, CA